Monday, February 16

The Unexpected Roadtrip...

After sitting in a plane getting from A (Medford) to B (Frisco) to C (Charlotte) and finally to D (Norfolk), I was tired of sitting.  Tired of traveling.  Ready to enjoy my 27 days of hanging out in a town, trying to get to know the place that I'll hopefully be visiting a lot, seeing long lost peoples, etc.  

Last thing on my list: a roadtrip.

While it's cool to think that DC is a mere 3 hours away.  It's equally cool thinking I could watch HIMYM and The Office reruns until my ears bleed.  But when someone sponsors a trip up north (ahem Joe Cady and his need for a WingCouple), you just can't say 'no.'

So here we are taking the Metro.  The drive up was anything exciting.  I equate it like driving Eugene to Portland.  *snore*  I should have slept the drive up.  Now I'll know.

Being a long-standing Anthony Bourdain fan, I took brief mental notes while I watched the episode of him being in DC (not that I thought I'd be there, but more of the fact that foods seem to spread from their areas of origin).  First stop: a halfsmoke.  My dad was dissapointed he didn't get to take part in the action.  But at least he was able to supplement his desires by a Costco dog.

Despite being a hotdog (which I usually don't eat unless it's game day, I've started drinking, I've had a couple of jello shots, I'm in Beaver Gear, and I'm not thinking about the "lips and assholes" that are in hotdogs), it was pretty good.  I did take it authentically (thankfully the onions weren't that bad).  The chili didn't really affect me.  Or wook.  Thankfully.

Because we had a little bit of time before we needed to "suit up" for the evening, we stopped off at the National Aquarium.  Small, but entertaining.  And of course, I wanted to take this guy home with me.

Wook with his Dunkel at Black Squirrel's.  The barscene was entertaining.  Very.  Whether it was students, young corporates, interns, or tourists, there was a lot of alcohol being consumed.  The night started out great at a couple small bars, but then the levee was broke and those small bars were overpowered by the 20-something crowd.

Thankfully my feet hurt (my heel actually, a blister from a couple days before), so the boys dropped me off at the hotel.  They obviously could hold way more booze than me.  I thought 4 beers was good.  So I took a tub, crawled into bed, watched some Comedy Central, and called it a night.  Wook and Joe hit a couple more places up, tried to work the ladies, and came back to the hotel unsuccessful.  And wook only snored a couple times.  Yay.

Little shout out to White House on our second day there.

At the National History Museum, because I know how much those Holding-McDaniel DNA holders like their buttshots.  Enjoy a 12-ton elephant.

The Washington Monument.  But I do agree it's more of a tribute to Clinton.

I hear ya.  It was a long 2 days.  An entertaining 2 days.  I think I only slept for like 20 minutes on the drive home.  I was getting cranky at the end.  Can you blame me?  I just came across the US like 4 days before.  I'm on vacation.  A relaxing vacation.  Not a touristy vacation.  Gosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS