Wednesday, July 1

That New Car Smell

I realize it's been almost 2 months since I last saw her, but she smelled like a new car.

And the clouds parted partially, little cherubs came down, singing...

Okay, just kidding. But here's how it went down.

Just after 9am, I received the call from the Trucker Guy saying he was just over the bridge (Hampton Roads - for you familiar with the area or are stalking Google Maps) and on his way to me after dropping off a Honda/Toyota Something-Asian. Okay, great. No worries. But the closer it got to closer to the 45 minutes he anticipated, I reaaally had to use the bathroom. Go and miss the call, or suck it up and wait for that bleamin' beauty to roll up? So I keep working.

After 10:30, I finally get the call from the guy saying he had just arrived. Woooohooo. And this was after my dad and I's text-versation of, "Well?" "Nothing." "Boo." "I know.")

At exactly 10:51, I started the clock on utilizing part of my lunch to walking the 4 blocks to get my car. And of course I call the Sheriff to give him a play-by-play on my walking, crossing streets, getting to the big intersection, waiting for the little man, counting down the time I have left, the "I'm 75 yards out, OMG, I feel like Ken Simonton on a 75-yard dash to the end zone without any coverage. I... could... go... all... the... way!!!" (You may think I'm kidding. I'm not.)

That sequin-like blue, radiating from the parking lot of an abandoned box store, she was there, in all her Oregonian glory, a little bird-poo'd, a little dusty, in need of a bath, but there. And the Trucker Guy even started her up with the A/C blowing. What a champ. 20 points.

I really wish I would have brought my camera with me to document my facial expressions. I told my dad that it would be like SurvivorMan, but instead it'd be CarReunionGirl and would only last the 30 seconds or so it took to round the corner of Fuddruckers, give another "wooooHooooo!!" (one of many), and tell my dad I'll call him back because I'm about to enter a joyous embrace with my little blue piece of metal and rubber. And XM, lest not forget.

So we looked over the car, noting all the dings that have existed prior to shipping. Signed off. Handed over the Cashier's check of the rest of the car payment. Wished the guy a Happy Fourth. Gracially plunked my butt into the driver's seat, prayed I didn't kill it on the way back to the parking garage, and was off. Okay, well moving, to a stop sign, at least.

The gymkana action didn't happen until after I got off work, drove home, yacked a bit with wook about our respective days (thus waiting for traffic to clear up on the way out of Downtown - which is where most people work), drove back to the parking garage where I work, got dropped off, and hit the open road. But be sure that I left both my parents voicemails of, "GYMKANA!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

Now Smurfette is parked on the street since I haven't gotten my permit for the parking garage of wook's apartment yet. And I was worried too about having it on the street the whole night.

I made wook do a drive-by 20 minutes ago (we were coming back from dinner).

"So wook, what do you think?" Implying, do you think it'll get broken into?

Riiiiight across the street was a Bentley. And in front of that a BMW.

"Uhh, baby, I don't think yours will be their focus."

I hope he's right. I feel like a mom leaving her baby alone for the first time. Let's hope I don't succumb to a midnight walk to check. Because I really need my sleep.

Why? 5am comes early. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS