Thursday, August 13

My First 100 Days

Seems like yesterday. It was that cold morning of Cinco de Drink-o.

Shocking. I never would have guessed it. Neither would wook. But that's exactly how long it's been since I stepped off the plane, after a 2-hour delay in Philly (it's okay, I found a bar), with only a carry-on and 2 checked bags to my name. And a boy who would voluntarily let me mooch via groceries and accomodations until I was (hopefully) back on my feet.

There's been many emotions carried throughout this trial phase of living cross country, with a boy, away from my family, nearer to the McD clan.

The first 2 weeks was sheer playtime. Wook didn't have nearly the responsibilities now. So we took daytrips to the beach, Downtown, strolling, catching Starbucks, taking pictures of building (okay, that was me), sending postcards (me again), engulfing The Office, realizing how much fun it is to see someone in which you're in a relationship with for more than 6 days every 8 months.

I had a blast. I played house. I cleaned. I did laundry like the good Mrs. Draper. I cooked dinner (and by that I mean the favorites that I grew up with). I loved every minute cuddled with wook on the couch as we watched episode after episode of How I Met Your Mother and The Office. It was like college again. Minus the homework. And no roomies. Just us. Marshmallow and Lilypad.

Then I started the job search. I was impressed with the quantity out here. But then I think about how here I'm in a real city, and back home..is...well...back home. It's not a big city. It's a specialized medical community. One of the best. If you're a nurse in Medford, then you're in a good line. If you're working in an admin position when the economy tanks, well you better have an alternate take on life and reality. I did. It's called traveling. And it was great.

I even told my dad that the quantity of Craigslist administrative position posts alone a day equals what Medford gets a week. But it's just the story of big pond vs. little pond. There's always pros and cons to each.

So I was feeling good. I was putting out resumes. I was feeling brilliant in my cover letters. I was liking where I was going. I was getting responses. Some would fizzle. I'd get a couple interviews. Then life would go stagnant again. And just when I was about to breakdown into a frazzle, a call would come in because my resume piqued someone's interest and I got that ever-so-coveted interview.

Yes, there was one time I doubted my ability to hack it outside the Nest. It was cozy living at home. I didn't have rent. My parents are pretty cool to hang out with. I saved a boat-load of money. I got to play in the real mountains. There were all the comforts of home. Right there. Just not the comfort of seeing this boy I'd been attached for the last 4-5 years. That was a different story. The deciding factor. Well, a swaying factor let's say. If I hadn't not had a job in Medford, who knows where I'd be. But because I came to the crossroad of No Job Street and Not Working Avenue, I had to go on a week-long cruise with my family to Mexico (where my dad and I polished off a fifth of Sailor Jerry ourselves, among other liquors)...life took a change of course. Shucks. I hate vacations.

But alas, I boarded that plane. I decided to fly the coop. I thought I could handle the 2 connections. The showing up in Virginia with nothing more than could fit in the back of the Yeep. And the hopes that maybe I could find something here. If not a little bit of excitement from stepping outside my comfort zone to the other coast. I kept telling myself, I'm young. If I don't do it now, when will I have the chance? Do I think I'll stay out here for the rest of my life? Probably not. The PacNW is where it's at (whether it's Oregon or Washington State).

But then the world fell together. I got a job. And not just a job. A job. A real job. A great one. A fun one. One where I don't dread going to work each day because it's "Corporate Accounts Payable, Nina speaking...just a moment." It's a blast. I laugh every day at work. Always something. If it's not hysterical movie quotes, it's a sneaked-in "That's what she said." Despite some early call times, late hours, and being constantly on my feet.

So surprisingly things have come together. After settling in to the new digs, which I thought was going to be an experience in learning to co-habitat with the opposite gender, things are going smoothly. Kinda surprised. Okay, very surprised. There are still the times where things go wrong because you're living with the other gender. But that's okay. My bras are on the end of their line so it's not life-or-death whether they accidentally made it into the dryer. These things take time to learn. And in return, I'm becoming a better cook. Notice I said cook. Not chef.

And incase you ever wanted a glimpse into what it's like to live with a wookie, well here it is. I'm currently blogging my heart out. Always attached electronically. (I hear my mother now, she's just like her father. I like it!). Wook just turned off the clippers. He's in the bathroom tidying up his hair. Because he's awesome and likes me a whole lot, he'll grow his hair just a smidge longer than he prefers. What a champ. But there comes a time when it just gets too long. Meet today. It's a sad day, but I realize there are regulations on his sanity with his hair. Too bad. He really does look adorable with the you-can-kinda-see-the-curl-that-could-eventually-make-it's-way-out kind-of hair. I call it his Boy Meets World hair. He calls it I-need-a-haircut hair.

1 comment:

  1. I think I just threw up in my mouth with all that sweetness. Jk. Proud of you bob. Love you and I'll see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS