Tuesday, December 6

My Christmas Questionnaire

I, too, stole the idea from Jane @ Janey's Favorite Things. Mockery is flattery, right? And Blogger, why the weird text sizes...seriously??


Dear sunrise, I miss you. I can't wait until December 21st, because everything returns back to the glory days. But then I know Christmas is RIGHTTHERE, so I'll hold off. Thank you Home Depot for the plug-in timers. I'm now turning into my mother...

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Wait for this.

Keep waiting.

I like........................................unalcohol'd eggnog. Gasp. Horror. Are you ill??? Mrs. Wookie.......................and virgin egg nog??

Colored or white lights on tree/house?
We're of the new-age with WHITE. Not icicle though. Just white. Modern simplicity.

Do you hang mistletoe?
Yes. In Oregon, you climb the oak tree in the neighbors' yard because spending $2 for a tree growth is ridiculous. That's a drive-thru coffee right there.

For 2008's Christmas meet-up in Nashville, I flew with a chunk in my purse.

Now in California, we'll be doing "night ops" for mistletoe in neighborhoods where shooting, stabbings, and muggings aren't involved. I'm not paying $5...

When do you put your decorations up?
A couple weeks before Christmas. Ideally it'd be the weekend after Thanksgiving, but we're the people that buy a real tree each year so we have to wait so needles aren't dropping before the Big Day.

What is your favorite holiday dish?
My favorite dish that causes Diabetes?? Monkey Bread - made by my dad. (yuuuuuum)
My favorite dessert?? These peanut butter balls made by the old lady neighbor a few houses down from my parents. THE FAMILY FIGHTS OVER THESE. We have to ration, they're so good. You may only get a half, but damn....you savor it...then lick your sister's fingers.

Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
The one year my parents staged with perfection Santa coming down the chimney. My Dad had stashed in the garage a pair of police motorcycle boots. Those are black. And when shoved up the chimney... SHUTTHEFRONTDOOR, ISTHATSANTA?!?!??!?!! as a child. End it with a Polaroid of said documentation... we were convinced for years. I still kinda am...

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I ruined my Christmas one year checking in my mom's closet (she knows, she knows we all peeked at least one year to know what saddened disappointment felt like - she did it when she was younger too). Wah wah.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
I didn't - but I love this tradition, especially when it's something like pajamas. 

How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
In reality...he Caveman-drags it in and sets it up. Then his Inner Gay gets to work putting up lights, the ribbon, and the Darth Vader mask as the tree topper (I kid you not - we're in search of something better). Then I say, "Hey baby, I think there's a bare patch there." So he volleys, "Don't worry about it. It's not done yet." So I realize I really am no help to this situation so I sit back and enjoy my glass of wine/cocktail/mug of eggnog, etc.

Do I mind this? Not really. :) His love for decoration spans over the fact that he's really good at it and he wants to make the holidays special since it's a BIG DEAL on my side of the family to have an over-the-top Christmas.

Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it. But maybe that's because I'm from the part of Oregon where 2 inches will shut down the town. Rain...now...that's a whole different story. We live for rain.

Do you remember your favorite gift?
I think I was 12. I got the first 20 books of Nancy Drew from my Aunt. Sweetness...

Oh, and last year there was my Nikon...

And in 2008, there was a my flight to Nashville to see Mr. Wookie who I hadn't seen in 7 months and 26 days.


What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?

[see above for the legendary fighting over peanut butter balls...so good]

What is your favorite holiday tradition?
I love eating Monkey Bread on Christmas morning. And don't forget the mimosas. And since we've been unable to come home a few Christmases, a giant AMENTHANKYOUBABYJESUS for Skype. Seriously.


Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum?

Yum when they're fresh. Yuck when your mom hoards ones from 1989 in the ornament box.

Favorite Christmas movie?
It's a Wonderful Life. Is there really any better Christmas movie than that?

Janey...that's an awful movie choice. Really? ;) It's all about A Christmas Story.

Saddest Christmas Song?
Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer. Way to just run up Grandma's Medicare coverage and co-pays. Don't you know she just had her hip replaced. How rude...


What is your favorite Christmas song?

Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You. And Britney's Only Wish This Year.

What are some of your Christmas traditions?
Growing up in a family of 4 kids has caused some amazing traditions. There is the tradition of all of us sleeping in a twin bed. So yes - we had to sleep sideways on the bed. No - this was never comfortable for me. Yes - we'd rotate "watch shifts" for movement upstairs so we'd know when Santa arrived. If things came on your watch, you woke up the other siblings. We'd play with our respective Santa toys for an hour or so before succumbing to sleep-deprivation. Then we'd pass out again until much later.

But now, people are marrying off and making families of their own. Although, I may lobby for a full-family stint next year since I'll be going home to my family while our freedom is defended by Mr. Wookie.

I need to create a contract though - "I, Little Man, cute nephew, and I, Miss Emma, adorable niece, will not wake the slumbering Aung Ging with shrills, grunts, groans, or such." I can't be woken up early, can I?

2 comments:

  1. That's what we always did growing up. We always got PJs from mom and dad and we would open them Christmas Eve to be able to wear them for Christmas morning. I've never had monkey bread before, my family is more the sprouted bread with hummus kinda family, so growing up I was deprived of this bread of monkeys. I actually had never even heard of it until I got Pinterest like last month lol and everyone has monkey bread pinned. So, I decided to try it out this year for the first time. Exciting.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS