Wednesday, October 28

The Namaste Gods Are After Me

Yesterday was no different than any other day. Get off work. Call one of the parents. Yack on drive home. Get angry and stupid drivers. Get laughed at (by mom) or talked off the ledge (by dad). Make it home. Park car. Lug 3 blocks home. Cross busy street. Since it's Tuesday, get dressed and walk to yoga. Namaste, right?

No. There's a kicker...

Right before class, I meet this girl who asked in a thick Portuguese accent, "Oh, was I supposed to bring my own mat?" This is a yoga class. Yoga. class. Unless you want to use one of those loaners, which just reminds me that you forgot your PE uniform for 8th grade gym class, yes, you need a mat. "Oh, it's okay, they have some to use. But try and bring yours next time."

So now I'm thinking, oh great, another newbie. I really need to get around to asking for that intermediate yoga class. Something where we don't have to break down all the positions for those who are just picking up the practice. Snobbish? Yes. But how else do you get better?

But then Darryl brings it. And not only does he bring it. But he brings it to me.

I thought I was going to die. Okay, not really. But I was sore leaving class. And I'm slightly sore today. Guess I had it coming. Stupid me.

Below you will see the intermediate version of the side plank. Leg on the knee. Easy.

Then you see this crazy leg-in-the-air-concoction. Oi ve. Now that's a yoga pose. I could draw my leg up to my knee and finger my big toe (sounds dirty, but it's not, I promise), but the extension is where I couldn't quite get there. It's amazing the whole-body strength needed to just bust a leg in the air. It's my goal for the week. Abs, arms, hamstring flexibility. Advanced side plank here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS