Monday, December 28

2009: You've Been Swell

We've had our ups and downs, haven't we 2009.

It started out with a boring, dismal New Year's Eve back in Oregon. I had just left Mr. Wookie after an exciting Christmas holiday in Nashville and Ohio. Minus the 5 lbs. that acquired to my backside courtesy of Grandmoose's (Mr. Wookie's paternal grandma) cookies, I couldn't have had a better vacation. Next time I'd see him: Not sure.

Then on January 16th, at 5:30pm, I left the keys on my work desk. Locked the door behind me. And walked to my car. Slightly misty eyed, I called Mr. Wookie. There I was. 25, college education, excellent work ethic, with a vast empire of unemployment on her doorstep. Where would I go? What would I do? What's next? And why won't Mr. Wookie answer his phone?? (Story of his life. He never hears his phone. Yet, if you text him right after you call, he'll respond. Men.)

So with this new freedom upon my world, I set out for travels again. Mr. Wookie had recently relocated courtesy of the Navy to this long-lost world of Norfolk, Virginia. All the way on the other coast. Well, it was a warm and welcomed improvement from the cultural shock of Florida. Mr. Wookie enticed me with texts of the market a half block away with organic produce, the Downtown lifestyle of walking everywhere and not needing a car, and his very own yuppy loft.

Norfolk welcomed me with open arms. And so did those friendly neighbors 3 hours north. Mommy McD was beyond ecstatic to have another awesome militarily attached Oregonian out in this time zone. And I definitely missed her offspring (by the way, Happy Birthday Braxton! Little man is 4 today!)

Then my world took a smack. The Sheriff non-chalantly texts, "Call me please." This is usually followed by him having way too many questions for his thumbs to text so he just asks you to call. This time: WRONG. This time it was followed by, "your mom's in the hospital." Cue instant panic. Cue "Do I need to come home?" Followed by, "Since when? Why? How long will she be in? Why did you tell us sooner? Can you go pick up flowers for me?" And all the other questions that flood your mind when you're in the toy room with 2 rambunctious toddlers throwing balls at your head (no, really, they have like a McDonald's ball pit, and those balls can pick up steam).

But thankfully it wasn't anything too serious. She was out after a week and a half. And I stayed put since I was planning on being back in 2 weeks. Had it been anything worthwhile, I would have been on the first Never Ending Story flying dog back home. Guaranteed.

March was great as the family went on another awesome vacation together (minus Brother & Wife). This time a Princess cruise (holy pampered!) to Mexico. A week lounging, drinking, laughing, and entertaining with My Genetics. It was great. Each vacation produces more and more memories and one-liners. And the pictures never lie. I had a great time. Everyone else...got sunburned.

Then I dropped the bombs on my parentals: "I think I'm going to move out to Norfolk."

I initially described it as just trying on the city. Seeing if I liked it. Seeing what their job market held (as in, was it better than here, which truthfully couldn't be any worse).

So I packed 2 carry-on bags, a backpack, and my purse, wiped my snotty nose on the Sheriff's shoulder and boarded that plane, so long Oregon. And that was the beginning of May.

The rest of May and June were spent on Job Search '09, which is always a tumultuous roller coaster of emotion as you get your hopes up with each interview only to be let down when they hire someone without a college education as it's cheaper for them.

June 15, 2009: A day that will last in infamy. 2 temp-to-hire job offers!

After internal deliberation, careful and meticulous debating with the parentals, with insight from Mr. Wookie, I take the Catering Coordinator position for a large company. Without any real catering training, I jump feet first. And I love it. And I'm slowly acquiring the nickname of "Martha (Stewart)" - I could get used to that.

And somehow July, August, September, October, and November flew by!

Between working sometimes long hours (10+ hour days), spending weekends on roadtrips (like 4th of July in D.C.), indulging in the amazingly warm water the Atlantic ocean boasts, a super successful trek back to Oregon, an unfortunately disappointing Beaver Football season, almost half of the year completely passed.

But here we are...the end of December, and I can't believe it. I had such a bad year. But such a good year. Yes, unemployment is not attractive. But thankfully Mr. Wookie isn't judgmental. Just incredibly supportive and willing to let me try out this city, looking for opportunity.

So I'll say goodbye to the last Monday in 2009. It's been great. And I'll miss you.

4 comments:

  1. oh sure, make me cry as soon as I get to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one suffer of 2009 unemployment hells and relocation to another, good-bye 2009, HELLO 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Mom, I shorry - crying at work is never a good thing, unless you win the lottery a bazillion times over and get to quit. And then I get my trust fund. Therefore, I'll cry too.

    And Ashley, yes, agreed. Here's to our 2010. Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Sheriff says, don't forget the flexibility of unemployment. Those afternoon "fluid replacement sessions" can start early. Remember dehydration can be a serious health issue.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS