Saturday, April 4

Spring Break: Mazatlan

Mazatlan, a Mexican hub for the ex-pat community, and our #2 stop of our port calls. And I'm thinking that I could totally live there later in my life. I mean, an ex-pat community means native English speakers (who have probably adopted the local language as well as kept their own), which I could totally do.

We'll see. :)

So we scored a $20/person trolley ride around town, which lasted about 3 hours. Pretty nifty. And while it wasn't the swimming with the dolphins the kids wanted to do (somehow they failed to recognize the $200/person price tag), it was enough entertainment for the day.

So this was a little restaurant down in the cultural part of Mazatlan. I just want to light up a Cuban and read a tasty little book. And maybe eat some really good food, which thankfully happened an hour and a half later. Oh God, the chimichangas. Delish. Living it up, ex-pat style.

Okay, so this is their cathedral. Gorgeous, right? Well after walking in to tour the inside (which my mom really liked since she's never seen anything this old), we realized...wow...should we be here? There were a lot of people sitting down, I thought maybe there were tourists who were indulging in their Catholic side. Wrong. There was a funeral about to start. Casket about to be walked down the aisle. And Hay even takes a picture of it. Yowzas.
And I know what you might be thinking, who still walks into the Cathedral even with a funeral starting? Well, our thoughts were, that you know there is a a tourist location, therefore you've thought about this and have comes to terms with people wandering in. End scene.

Trac and my mom being photographic. And just for a note. The first part of our tour was around the cultural parts. Not very photogenic. Therefore we spent most of the time dorking around.

Tracy, jungle woman.

The Sheriff...

Trac and Hay outside the diamond jewelers. Guess who was in there? (My mother. Points if you got that right.)

Chug, chug, chug...nothing like a little Pacifico to cool one down on a warm afternoon.

On the trolley tour making our way back to dock.

Just so you know, this was our trolley tour. My mother had to listen intensely because she doesn't quite soak up the accent. A lot of the time, she has to look at me to translate. I get to translate English...into English. Yay.

So we scored some Swishers in Mazatlan, so we came back on the boat and enjoyed ourselves a little. Nothing like a cigar and a good book. I killed the Zombie book while smoking. Trac said, "ick." I say, "pimp."

A shot across the bay from our shaded side of the boat. How about a colorful house on a slanted hill? I could do it. But I'd rather live downtown. Cuz I saw lots of book stores. Were they in English? Oh, I dunno. But there's always Amazon.

I told you, those darn binoculars glued to his head.

Okay, so the other side of the boat from where we smoked the cigars was a Kia/Hyundai car unloading lot. And this is just on the one side of the building that's partially in view. There were loooots. I just feel sorry if you're the one having to repark them. Talk about a bitch. Not in the car long enough for the A/C to kick in. Boo.

No joke...we're at the time that the boat is supposed to shove off, when over the intercom announces: "We still haven't accounted for Mr. Blah Blah and Ms. Heidi Blah, if you could make your way to Level Something to verify for our disembarkation." Well after about 15 minutes of announcing this, a golf cart zoomed towards the boat. The missing passengers (what a bitch to have actually missed the boat) are practically screeching up Daytona 500 style. Well as they're making their way to the ramp, the whole side of the boat is cheering. It was like being at a bullfight. Ole!

Protect the Environment: Stop Smoking. Enough said.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, I just realized you have a brother and he is not on the trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct. He and the wife couldn't figure their plans out in time to get moving on this vacation.

    Instead they're going to Maui in Fall '10 with the parents.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS