Friday, May 8

Ashley, Food Critic

Bloods vs. Crypts.  East vs. West.  In-N-Out vs. 5 Guys.  The battle is on.

With my palate fresh off a run to Redding for some de-li-cious In-N-Out, I thought it only appropriate to utilize this recent memory and try out the East Coast's version of 5 Guys.  I heard, "It's better than In-N-Out."  And I've heard, "It's not as good as In-N-Out, but it's the best burger you'll find out here."

Tastebuds, are you ready?

I order a "little bacon cheeseburger" with mushrooms and lettuce.  Wook got a "double cheeseburger" with all the fixings.  And we split a small fry.  And then sat and waited for our number to be called.  Drumroll, please.

Our food has arrived.  And wook completed the meal with a little ketchup cup.  And that bag is full of fries.  Good golly.

Survey says?  

Presentation clearly goes to In-N-Out.  Cheese paper.  Exposed awesomeness.  2 points.

Fries are a different story though.  While I eat the In-N-Out fries, they aren't constructed in my ideal manner.  I prefer thicker, beefier cuts.  With this said, the 5 Guys fries were pretty good.  I preferred them.  I'd give 2 points.

How you doing, wook?  Enjoying it?

An eaten splice of my burger.  The bacon was delicious, although it was probably cooked in a microwave.  I liked the smaller patty size just because I can't handle the bigger burgers (thus my ordering a petite Bonsai, no tomato, at Red Robin).  And no cheese foil.  At least this round.

The wookie enjoying his meal.

And there's no real way to categorize the rest of the debate between In-N-Out vs. 5 Guys.  It's up to the burger.  5 Guys was a good burger.  It hit the spot.  It has hippie standards about never freezing their beef and cooking their fries in a certain kind of oil.  I would certainly eat there again.

But with that said, comes the description of In-N-Out.  There's nothing like an In-N-Out burger.  If I were to bite into a 5 Guys burger, I wouldn't have a clear distinction about its origin.  But In-N-Out's a different story.  There's a taste about it.  You know that's a #2, plain, with lettuce.  Or a #1, animalized, if that's your style.  You just know it.

So while I could pick a winner according to my lame point system, I'll leave it as it is.  I'm on the East Coast now, and I'll certainly enjoy 5 Guys when frequented.  But there'll always be a place in my heart and a portion of my gas tank for a trek to In-N-Out.  Always.

2 comments:

  1. I must say, without the food, those pics of Wook look like a mugshot.

    this is actually a test. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crypts=Egyptian tomb

    Crips=Gangsta

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS